September 30, 2011

The first step to painting...

...is to sit down.
I have this terrible habit of never sitting still.
But last night, I ignored the laundry basket next to me full of clothes,
and I painted.

It was wonderful!


I lay down the brighter colors first in thin, uneven washes so that later on,
if I want to make a color darker, all I have to do is add another layer or two.


It's much easier this way.  Watercolors can be tempermental.  If the bottom layer is too dark or dull, there are very few things you can do to change it.
So, bright colors first and dark ones last.

The 12x12" painting on the right will be a male Queen Alexandra's Birdwing Butterfly.
It's one of the largest butterflies in the world!



Here's a few shots from my sketchbook...including a sketch for my current painting
and a huge list of ideas for upcoming ones.

I've really got to get back in there and do some more drawing.



Currently my studio is undergoing some changes as I'm trying to think practically about how I can utilize all the space.  I'd like to have about 10 paintings going at once which would require adequate space for palettes, water, brushes, paper, etc.

More pictures soon!

1 comment:

garThoma said...

Michelle, your sketchbooks are really wonderful!