April 23, 2012

for your monday blues...



Butterfly Blues
 8x10 inch Watercolor on paper, mounted

One of favorite birthday gifts this year was this Acrylic Artists Ink, which I immediately put to good use painting this dark and moody background in which two of the most beautiful butterflies now sit.  I realize it is a slight departure from my typical light and airy butterfly portraits, but what can I say?  Sometimes a girl just wants a little drama.

Now, I think it's necessary to point out that although you cannot see it from your monitor, if you tilt the painting in the light, it shines.  I mean, not only does it shine because of the gloss finish, but also because of my new Metallic Silver Gouache { also a birthday gift! } in which I brushed and dabbed onto each blue butterfly wing.

Click the images to purchase in my Etsy shop.

Post a Comment