April 23, 2012

for your monday blues...



Butterfly Blues
 8x10 inch Watercolor on paper, mounted

One of favorite birthday gifts this year was this Acrylic Artists Ink, which I immediately put to good use painting this dark and moody background in which two of the most beautiful butterflies now sit.  I realize it is a slight departure from my typical light and airy butterfly portraits, but what can I say?  Sometimes a girl just wants a little drama.

Now, I think it's necessary to point out that although you cannot see it from your monitor, if you tilt the painting in the light, it shines.  I mean, not only does it shine because of the gloss finish, but also because of my new Metallic Silver Gouache { also a birthday gift! } in which I brushed and dabbed onto each blue butterfly wing.

Click the images to purchase in my Etsy shop.

3 comments:

ersimarina said...

Beautiful! I love acrylic inks too, they are so much like watercolour and yet bolder and firmer. You made such good use of them!

Katherine Ross said...

Ooh I love the way the blues pop on the dark background. I bet the silver looks fantastic in person... it's all about the details.

Unknown said...

Yes, it was so nice! One layer of ink and it was as dark as night. As easy as that. I think I'm falling in love with my new materials! :) So good to hear your feedback.