August 2, 2013

afternoon summer treat





Summer is for sharing a jar of iced coffee after dinner on the front porch with a friend or spouse. It's for eating coconut popsicles in the late afternoon when the sun starts shining in the kitchen windows. Summer is laying on the couch and feeling the warm breeze push through the sheer curtains.

I don't normally post recipes on the blog, but lately my sister has been raving over the iced coffee I've been making for her, so I thought I'd share a quick tutorial.

Delicious Iced Coffee

  • French Press
  • Coffee grinder
  • 4 tablespoons whole beans (I use Eight O'Clock)
  • 3 cups hot water
  • soy milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

While your water is heating over the stove in a tea kettle, coarsely grind the beans. Since a French Press uses a larger filter, the beans can't be too finely ground or they'll come through the filter and into your coffee. Pour the coarsely ground beans into the French Press and, once the water is boiling, pour 3 cups over the grounds. Stir and wait 4 minutes. Stir again and with a spoon scoop off the foam at the top of the coffee. That foam is what sometimes gives the coffee a muddy or "earthy" flavor that I try to avoid. Put the lid on and press the plunger down.

I usually make a little extra coffee so I can have a hot cup in the morning. Then I let it cool on the counter for a while before I put it in the fridge to chill.

Once the coffee has chilled, fill a mason jar with ice. Pour soy milk (optional) over the ice, then fill it the rest of the way with coffee. Add 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir and enjoy.

No comments: