October 10, 2011

Painting: Step 5

This next step in painting can sometimes be a bit frustrating.
It's the corrective step: the time when I re-evaluate the composition, the colors, the overall design.
I walk away from the painting for a while...
I think, I stew, I tilt my head at funny angles.


When I come back to it, I'm ready to make some changes.
For example, I was distracted by all the details at the giraffe's feet.
I want the focus to be on the boy, the bird, and the giraffe's face.
Not the feet.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

So I smoothed the layers and added a wash of dark green.
Much better.


I was also a bit bored with the butterfly.
Sometimes I just want there to be something more to bring the viewer in....to make you look closer.  So I added detail with my extra sharp pencils and tore and glued paper for added interest. 

With this stage done, I only have a few more things to do to finish up!
In the mean time (and on a side note), I've been tearing my entire studio apart and moving/rearranging everything in order to make it a more efficiant use of space.
You won't believe the mess!
And I went on a photoshoot last evening with the most adorable kids for some upcoming paintings I've got swirling around in my brain. 
So much to look forward to!

Hope your weekend was wonderful!

6 comments:

Kathleen Maunder said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. What a lovely sense of whimsy you have in your work!

erleichda said...

i thing your work is very special. its aomething about having style. your own style... and i know this kind of artistic work takes time and need discipline. so i look up to people like you. ecpesially when you manage to "correct" your creation : )

Unknown said...

Thank you Demie! You are so sweet...I'm glad you are drawn to my "creations." I appreciate all of your feedback. And yes Kathleen, whatever it is called, I do try to add something a little special to each piece.

Rebekka Seale said...

Those are amazing! You are so talented!

illustration poetry said...

lovely :)

Anonymous said...

I like so much your butterflies ^^