October 10, 2011

Painting: Step 5

This next step in painting can sometimes be a bit frustrating.
It's the corrective step: the time when I re-evaluate the composition, the colors, the overall design.
I walk away from the painting for a while...
I think, I stew, I tilt my head at funny angles.


When I come back to it, I'm ready to make some changes.
For example, I was distracted by all the details at the giraffe's feet.
I want the focus to be on the boy, the bird, and the giraffe's face.
Not the feet.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

So I smoothed the layers and added a wash of dark green.
Much better.


I was also a bit bored with the butterfly.
Sometimes I just want there to be something more to bring the viewer in....to make you look closer.  So I added detail with my extra sharp pencils and tore and glued paper for added interest. 

With this stage done, I only have a few more things to do to finish up!
In the mean time (and on a side note), I've been tearing my entire studio apart and moving/rearranging everything in order to make it a more efficiant use of space.
You won't believe the mess!
And I went on a photoshoot last evening with the most adorable kids for some upcoming paintings I've got swirling around in my brain. 
So much to look forward to!

Hope your weekend was wonderful!
Post a Comment