January 28, 2012

David and his sheep



Do you know the story of David and Goliath?
I thought I did.  I've read it countless times and studied it in depth.  But for the past few weeks, God's been giving me new eyes and understanding as I pour over the story each morning. 

For example, did you know that David started out as a lowly shepherd?  Shepherds in David's day were the outcasts of society; smelly, dirty, homeless as they wandered in the wilderness to care for their sheep.  

But many years after the giant-slaying incident, God appointed David as King over all of Israel.  He became a conquerer of many nations, a strong leader, and a man after God's own heart.  

This morning I read 2 Samuel 7:9, which reads:
"Now I [God] will make your [David] name as famous as anyone who has ever lived on earth!"

God even promises David that his kingdom that will be forever established through the "Son of God."
It's an amazing story that has been filling my heart with so much joy!

And that's why I've begun this new piece- a shepherdess wandering through the English mountainside with her herd of beautiful sheep.  The particular breed of sheep I'll be painting are called "Rough Fell" rams with large curly horns and thick white wool.  Their faces and hooves are speckled black and white.  They are gorgeous, and I can't wait to share more!

Until then, stay warm in the snow and have a restful weekend!

2 comments:

Wandy "Primera" Dilan said...

Thanks for sharing this word... God is amazing!

ZHENYA ZHURAVLYOVA said...

interesting ART!

-fashion illustrator-