February 22, 2012

Custom Portrait: father & child

I've been waiting anxiously for weeks to share this next portrait with you!
I'd like for you to meet the most adorable family...
starting with a little girl named Bea:



Can there be a cuter girl?  Look at those blonde curls and big blue eyes!
Now meet her loving father...



I was so honored to have the opportunity to paint this adorable duo: father and daughter.
Bea's mother requested a portrait of Bea with both of her parents (the second one will be shared tomorrow) to be given to her daughter as a keepsake or momento, a way for Bea to remember her childhood and the love she shared with her parents.  What a great idea!  Paintings are the perfect way to capture and preserve a moment in time- especially childhood, which is so fleeting.

Bea and Her Father 8x10" Watercolor on paper

Bea's mother chose this (above) composition from the handful of sketches I showed her after her and I discussed in length the types of things Bea does with her parents.  Here's a segment of an email she sent me that is just too precious not to share.

"Bea loves nature. We go for walks in the woods almost every day. Her favourite activities are picking berries, collecting leaves, feathers and sticks. She loves owls, squirrels, rabbits and mice, and are always on the look-out to discover their cozy homes in tree trunks, rocks and moss pads - leaving little treats and treasures for them in their holes. She adores Goldilocks and the Three Bears. She's recently taken quite an interest in the setting sun and the rising moon.

She's very sweet-natured and gentle, a little on the cautious side and full of wide-eyed wonderment. She laughs easily and carries an innocent, joyful spirit."




I absolutely loved working on this project, which is why I've created a listing for it in my Etsy shop.  Click here to jump on over and see this new 8x10 inch Watercolor Custom Portrait option.

And don't forget to come back tomorrow to see my next portrait!

4 comments:

erleichda said...

amazing work! all that tenderness. Is there : )

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katherine Ross said...

Michelle this is so sweet! It would be a great idea for Father's Day. I'm definitely filing this away as inspiration for when I have kids... I hope you'll still taking custom orders by then :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Katherine and Demie! I do hope to be doing these for a time to come, Katherine. But just in case I don't, you better start talking to your husband... ;)