April 15, 2013

a new painting cycle










Much like the natural world art typically lends itself to a certain cycle. For me it goes something like this...

sudden interrupting thought
idea
words
journal
photos
...days, weeks, or even months go by...
more journal
more photos
sketchbook
more ideas
more sketchbook
paint

A few weeks ago the cycle started over with the conclusion of the 12 Bird Challenge and a new idea came to me: what if I created a brand new series of life-sized paintings? It sounds SO exciting, don't you think?  The paintings will probably have a forest theme & will tell some kind of story but the imagery is still pretty abstract at this point. Words are important during this stage of planning and will eventually stick together in a way that makes more sense and forms a story. Once I have a better understanding of the story, the imagery will make itself evident and I'll begin the sketchbook stage. So much more to come!

No comments: