February 21, 2011

something beautiful...


I think sometimes God allows room in our lives for frustration and difficulty.  Artistically speaking, there can only be two responses when faced with a road block: keep going or simply give up.
Sadly, I think a lot of people choose the giving up more often than not.  I certainly used to do it.  Every time a drawing didn't go just right, I'd literally just throw it away.   


 Now sometimes, I'll admit, it does feel good to toss a horrible drawing out.  It's satisfying to know that no one is ever going to see it again, including you.  But here's the thing that I've been learning.  The times when I feel the MOST overcome with frustration are often the times when I need to listen the hardest to whatever it is God is trying to communicate with me.  I'm not saying it's some mystical experience I'm having with my art.  All I mean is that some of the most important lessons I've learned about myself have come in the moments when I feel the most overcome with my own insufficiency. 


How awesome is it to know that God can take our insufficiency and turn it into something beautiful?

Romas 5:2-5
And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

James 1:2-4
 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

No comments: