July 16, 2011

Madagascan Moon Moth

Have you ever heard of this moth?
I ran across an image of the Madagascan Moon Moth while I was searching
for the Luna Moth (do you remember that painting?).

It's wingspan can be up to 8 inches, which was pretty impressive to me,

Madagascan Moon Moth 12x12 in. Watercolor on paper mounted
so I painted it to scale to get an idea of it's actual size...


This Moon Moth is...
* native to rain forests of Madagascar
* one of the world's largest silk moths
* only lives for about 4 or 5 days
* endangered
* bred in captivity
* also called Comet moth (Argema mittrei)

Pretty neat huh?
The verse in Proverbs 31 that talks about beauty being fleeting comes to mind...

5 comments:

Carole Poirot said...

I have to admit that the first thing that springs to my mind when I hear the word "moth" is "eaten woollies", so I'm not a big fan. This, however, is beautiful :-) Wishing you a lovely weekend xo

erleichda said...

you are a lovely artist! suddenly i like yellow : )

Corrie Wessman said...

I love that little guy. He is so sophisticated!

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your compliments!

Moths often get overlooked because of all the brilliant butterflies out there...but, look how beautiful they can be!

pcg said...

Wow - only live 4-5 days!? I can't wait to see your entire collection. Loving them all...