August 10, 2012

Galena again


This weekend Corrie and I are headed to Galena, Illinois for one of my last art festivals of the season.  We're more excited this time because we know what's in store.  We've already made plans to visit our favorite Vanucchi's Italian Ristorante and one of the most beautiful vineyards in the state.  All my things are packed and the dishes are put away.

My favorite part about Galena is just walking and driving around.  Last year, as the thunder clouds rolled in and dropped heavy bursts of rain, Corrie and I drove through twisty back roads and rolling hills.  Tall red barns stood out against the dark green pastures where cattle grazed.  The trees were covered in thick and droopy vines.  

I'm a pretty simple girl raised in a flat prairie between fields of corn and fields of beans.  It doesn't take majestic mountains and stunning sunsets to impress me.  Just some hills covered in green or yellow grass, waving with the wind.  Cows in the distant horizon.  Barns so old and filled with stories.  Bright yellow birds darting in front of my windshield as I drive.

And that's why I love this particular art show.  Because I get to see all of those things while hanging out with my best friend and talking to complete strangers who also happen to be the nicest people in the world.  And, to top it all off, the weather has cooled to a breezy 80 degrees.  Could it get any better?

I'm hopeful your weekend will be equally wonderful!  Are you loving the cooler weather?  I'm afraid you summer freaks are dreading the Fall temps.  :)  But I'm loving it!

1 comment:

Isabel said...

beautiful setting:O) have fun:O)