January 11, 2013

Tater Tot: Custom Dog Portrait

Custom Dog Portrait for Kelly
8x10" watercolor on paper
Waaay back in June I gave away two free custom pet portraits (remember Ulia and Tater Tot?) for one dog and one cat owner.  Ulia's portrait was first, full of color, texture, and pattern.  I love the way it turned out, but was really wanting something simpler for Tater Tot.  My sketchbook is brimming with little dog doodles as I couldn't seem to make up my mind about composition.  Who knew pet portraits would be so tricky?  So, as difficult as it was for me to restrain myself from spontaneously splashing color in the background layer upon layer, I refrained and simply painted 'ol Tater with a plaid banner, hat, and a couple of birdies.  Hopefully this year I can gain a little more experience with pet portraits and find the balance between simplicity and complexity, pattern and plain, vibrant colors and neutrals.

In the meantime, I've added a new dog portrait listing in my shop based on this composition.  The customizable options are colors, birds, leash, and name (of course).  Thanks Kelly for being so patient in waiting for your Tater Tot portrait!  I think he looks quite handsome. :)

No comments: