March 12, 2013

12 Bird Challenge: Peacock

Big & Beautiful Peacock
Watercolor and ink on paper, 12x24"


Have you ever seen a peacock up close?  They are stunning. A few summers ago I was drawing at the zoo and snapped a photo of one resting on the ground (see it right there on my painting?) with all of its feathers tucked neatly to its side.  I tend to like them more when they're not in full display, just sitting on a tree branch or walking slowly on the ground.  That tail felt like painting the tail of a mermaid and those patterns on its back required the purchasing of a few new angled brushes.  This one shimmers too, just like yesterday's barn owl.  I think I used around five different brushes to get all of those textures. So much fun and more birds to come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore your peacock. He looks so proud and beautiful in that pose. I love to paint them too and find them more and more appealing.
peace n abundance,
CheyAnne

Julie Cottrell said...

Girl your stuff is just unreal. I love the colors in this. And I envy your work space - looks so cozy and great!